The Fellowship program provides emerging and established furniture makers, carvers, and turners with a stimulating environment for the exploration of new work. Studio Fellowships offer free studio space and other benefits to individuals who are ready to commit anywhere from a month to a year to expanding their creative abilities. The Staff Fellowship is a one-year position with a work/study component.
Up to six Fellows share the 5,400-square-foot Thomas Miller Jackson Building, which contains two bench rooms, a machine room with full dust collection, and a drafting room. The bench rooms are outfitted with European-style workbenches and the machine room is equipped with 10″ tablesaws, a 12″ sliding table saw, 8″ and 12″ jointers, 15″ thickness planers, 14″ and 20″ bandsaws, Oneway 1640 lathes, a shaper, a CNC milling machine, a router table, stationary sanders, an oscillating spindle sander, a chopsaw, a scrollsaw, drill presses, grinders, and a horizontal slot mortiser.
- Free studio space in a well-equipped, dedicated facility
- Round-the-clock shop access, including weekends
- Open attendance at demonstrations and lectures by more than 40 outstanding professionals who teach at the school annually
- Bi-weekly critiques by faculty and visiting instructors
- Access to the Center’s library and gallery
- Opportunity to participate in biennial Messler Gallery alumni exhibition
- Interaction with hundreds of professional and amateur furniture makers who participate in the Center’s instructional programs
To see exhibitions of work by former Studio Fellows, follow this link:
- be experienced furniture makers, capable and ready to explore new work on their own initiative
- possess good interpersonal skills
- know how to use machinery and hand tools competently and safely
- have a record of creative achievement
- All Fellows are responsible for their own housing, materials, and transportation.
Studio Fellows are expected to contribute six hours per week to the school, helping out with tasks such as:
- facilities and grounds maintenance
- gallery staffing and cleaning
- special events, such as gallery openings
Studio Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis for periods ranging from one month to one year. Applications are accepted anytime, and positions are awarded as vacancies arise.
To apply, please send the following:
- A resume
- Digital images of your work
- A letter stating your reasons for applying and your goals as a woodworker
- The names and telephone numbers of three references
- An indication of the dates for which you are available
Applications should be e-mailed to: email@example.com
The Staff Fellowship is designed as a one-year commitment, to assist emerging makers in launching their careers. It offers 16 hours/week of part-time, compensated employment as the school’s Social Media Coordinator to support otherwise full-time Fellowship participation. The Staff Fellowship is discontinued for 2021.
We expect the next Staff Fellowship to be available from January 1 – December 31, 2022 and the application deadline is October 1, 2021.
For more information on the Staff Fellowship, including responsibilities, hours, compensation, and application instructions, please see Employment Opportunities.